2. Impact & advocacy

Started Thursday 26th June, 2014

What information will help decision-makers and communities think of, and invest in, teaching artists for what they are: a strategic national resource?

Comments

Meg Upton Sun 29th Jun, 2014 14:33pm
Language that directly speaks to business and organisational practice. Arts practitioners must be their own brokers
Feral Arts Mon 30th Jun, 2014 13:02pm
We think improving the profiling, networking and online connectedness of the sector will help. Visibility is a factor - if decision-makers can see the footprint of the sector as a whole it could open up new opportunities to take on strategic initiatives that we would otherwise be overlooked.
Daniel A. Kelin II Mon 30th Jun, 2014 16:51pm
The conversation should, I believe, concentrate on the how of learning, as opposed to the what. As education trends change from pure knowledge acquisition to how students become more adept, self-motivated learners, the arts can play an integral role in providing students engaging, self-defined processes that help them gain the social and intellectual skills needed to shape and give purpose to their life journey. Already the education field is stipled with words such as innovation, creativity, communication... All arenas in which the arts excel. The challenge for us is not to push artwork, but artistry, which has broad application. It is less about will they be an artist, but more how will they apply artistry to everything they choose to do, art or other.
Michael Anderson Tue 1st Jul, 2014 13:46pm
I know I would say this wouldn't I but....

research that is multiple site (international) and multiple arts is required to make our advocacy actually based on something. We are often caught in the trap of doing small and sometimes expensive evaluations that speak to no one really.
Imagine if we could join up all these ad hoc evaluations and put these resources into a large internationally recognized and relevant research project that confirmed the value of what we do but perhaps more importantly ask what we all could do better. Our recent research at the university of sydney was quite conclusive. The arts do make a difference. You can see the details here https://theconversation.com/the-new-national-arts-curriculum-could-make-for-better-schools-24537 but I think we need more and better coordination to make our voices in arts education louder and clearer.
Paul Sampson Thu 3rd Jul, 2014 11:46am
Advocating for artists at a primary school level here in Queensland is of paramount concern to my work with young people. At a district director of education level we need to impart indeed bombard decision markers with the hard data and solid research on cross curricula benefits of arts education, to allow greater access to students for artists. May I say @ the coalface this inability to be granted access to students is the greatest impedance to prolific artistic outcomes.
The UQ brand may well be one of the best organisations to disseminate the appropriate data. Again not to target principals yet the levels above in my humble opinion and experience is an important step forward in the advocacy of artists in schools.
Sophie Loades Thu 3rd Jul, 2014 23:49pm
Here are some notes that our group a group of us worked on on Wednesday in the work group session. It was a group with Sandra Gattenhof, Michael Anderson, Marit Uluvund, Cate Gilpin, Bradly David Santos & i'm so sorry but I can't find on the platform the other three in the group!!

Impact, Research & Advocacy

Research is important to the validity of the field.
Build on the research that has already been done.
Australian context is arts education, internationally is Teaching Artist.
Identify the gaps - Not enough research generally on teaching artistry, its called lots of different things.
Research cross-disciplinary.
Develop the models of practise for teaching artistry.
Fields validity & health to change & remodel the field.
Critically evaluate always.
Research tools should be transferable, share the infrastructure.
Open source research
TO DO -> Audit, literature review of what we know

Impact
What is the criteria of impact for the participants and for the artist/organisation (A lot of work in applied theatre of impact that we could draw on)
measurable outcomes -> qualitative, quantitative, performative - embrace all methodologies (opportunity to explore practise led research - performative)
TO DO -> What is impact/the criteria/who

Advocacy - Can come through research and impact, advocacy comes from good practise. Policy makers, general public
TO DO -> Falls into good practices and defining the field